Monday, August 24, 2009

Best leftovers ever.

The first time I had chilaquiles was for breakfast, served with huevos divorciados. Basically just stale tortillas cooked in sauce. Nothing fancy, but just. so. good.

I've gotten chilaquiles at restaurants a few times, but this weekend I finally made the dish myself. Out came my Rick Bayless cookbook and away I went, with some additions. I put leftover cooked chicken into the mix, along with peppers from the garden. I don't know what kind of peppers they are, probably Anaheim.

Ingredients

12 corn tortillas, cut into sixths and baked until crispy
1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, drained
3 chipotle chiles in adobo
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 chopped medium onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth can be used if you prefer)
salt
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, coarsely shredded
1/4 cup queso fresco
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions

Pour the drained tomatoes and the chipotles (seeds and all) into a blender. Puree the mixture.

In a large Dutch oven with a lid, heat the vegetable oil and cook about the onion, stirring regularly, for about 7 minutes or until golden. I also added my homegrown peppers at this point.


Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring so garlic doesn't burn.

Increase heat to medium-high and add tomato/chipotle puree. Stir until the mixture thickens up a bit, about 4 or 5 minutes. Although Bayless' recipe called for the chicken to be served more like a garnish, this is where I added my chicken. I wanted it heated and seasoned through.


Stir in the broth, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the chips and stir to coat. Bring sauce and chips to a rolling boil again. Cover the pan, turn off the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes (no longer, because the chips should be a bit chewy and not mushy). Serve with cilantro and cheese sprinkled on top.



This would be super easy to cut down to smaller portions, and next time I have a few leftover corn tortillas I'll definitely make chilaquiles again.

No comments: